San Diego Zoo Global is a not-for-profit organization that operates the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. It was founded on October 2, 1916, by Harry M. Wegeforth, M.D, and has an 11-member Board of Trustees headed by Robert B. Horsman; Douglas G. Myers is our president/CEO.
San Diego Zoo Global is the largest zoological membership association in the world, with more than 250,000 member households and 130,000 child memberships representing more than a half-million people. Members enjoy free admission to the Zoo and the Safari Park, a subscription to the magazine ZOONOOZ, and other benefits. Both the Zoo and the Safari Park are open every day of the year.
San Diego Zoo Global is committed to saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature.
San Diego Zoo
The 100-acre (40-hectare) Zoo is home to over 3,500 rare and endangered animals representing more than 650 species and subspecies, and a prominent botanical collection with more than 700,000 exotic plants. It is located just north of downtown San Diego in Balboa Park.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park
The Safari Park is an expansive wildlife sanctuary that is home to more than 3,000 animals representing more than 300 species. Its renowned botanical collection represents 3,500 species and 1.75 million specimens. Over half of the Park’s 1,800 acres (730 hectares) have been set aside as protected native species habitat. It is located 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of downtown San Diego in the San Pasqual Valley near Escondido, California.
San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research™
San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research is one of the largest zoo-based research centers in the world. Founded in 1975, it is dedicated to preserving and protecting rare and endangered wildlife and habitats. Staff develop, gather, and increase knowledge vital for the establishment of self-sustaining populations of wildlife.
The San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Association of Museums, and the Zoological Assocation of America.
Recent Honors and Awards
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Top Honors, Exhibit Design, 2015, Tull Family Tiger Trail experience
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Top Honors, Volunteer Engagement Award, 2015, Volunteer program
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Top Honors, International Conservation Award, 2015, Collaborative work on Sahara Conservation Fund
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Edward H. Bean Award, 2014, African bush elephant program
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums' Top Honors, Marketing, 2014, Welcome to Koalafornia: The New Australian Outback campaign
- American Association of Zoo Keepers' Certificate of Recognition 2014, Collaborative Learning Environment
- Outstanding Service Learning Community Partner of the Year, 2013, California State University, San Marcos
- Sustainable Environmental Enhancement Program of the Year, 2013, California Transportation Foundation