Australian Wildlife Relief
How is San Diego Zoo Global assisting Australia wildlife affected by the fires?
- San Diego Zoo Global-supported researchers are already on the ground in Australia, working to help save Australia's magnificent wildlife. Additional staff with wildlife care and veterinary expertise are being sent this month to assist zoos working with injured wildlife.
- The San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park matched an amount equal to the monies raised in the day's admissions for Sunday, January 12, 2020, to support San Diego Zoo Global's Australian wildlife relief efforts.
- We continue to collect donations to address the immediate needs of wildlife affected by the fires and to do the conservation work that will be necessary for long-term recovery. Guests can visit endextinction.org/help for more details.
Australian Wildfire Work Update
Will we be doing another admission match day?
- No, that was a one-time special fund-raising effort.
Why is San Diego Zoo Global donating money to Australia wildlife relief efforts?
- San Diego Zoo Global is an international, nonprofit conservation organization that supports worldwide conservation projects to save species, including the Australian wildlife relief project.
- Our organization has worked collaboratively with Australian partners to learn about and conserve the unique species of that continent for almost 100 years, and we are recognized experts in this field.
- The recent wildfires in Australia represent an environmental catastrophe that will change what we need to do to ensure the unique species of that region do not go extinct. In keeping with our mission to save species, San Diego Zoo Global has committed to long-term recovery efforts, and we appreciate the support our audiences have given to make this work possible.
- Our efforts to raise funds to support Australian wildlife relief efforts will be applied to address the immediate needs of wildlife affected by the fires, and to do the conservation work that will be necessary for long-term recovery.
Specially trained dog helps find koalas
How can guests help?
- Be a hero for Australian wildlife! Support relief efforts by going to endextinction.org/help.
- Learn about Australia’s unique wildlife and help San Diego Zoo Global spread information about these species, their unique adaptations, and their importance to the natural ecosystem of that region.
How will guests' donations/contributions be used?
- Your lifesaving donations/contributions will provide immediate support for search and rescue of injured animals, provide water and food for animals, and address long-term population recovery efforts. San Diego Zoo Global has been working with Australia wildlife organizations for almost 100 years, and we're intensifying our on-the-ground conservation work during this crisis.
Why is donating through San Diego Zoo Global a good way to help?
- San Diego Zoo Global’s research and animal care staff have been working in Australia for several years, have firsthand knowledge of current needs, and are now focusing their efforts on relief and recovery.
- San Diego Zoo Global is taking a considered and scientific approach to addressing immediate and long-term needs, and gathering accurate information to communicate about our efforts and plans to provide aid and expertise in this critical situation.
- San Diego Zoo Global is a recognized wildlife conservation expert. When you donate to our Australian wildlife relief efforts, you know you are contributing to an organization that regularly communicates about its efforts, has been successful with species recovery in the past, and has made a commitment to long-term recovery. Because San Diego Zoo Global is a US-based nonprofit organization, donations are available for appropriate US tax deductions.