Self-guided Field Trips
*School Self-guided Visit online reservations are coming soon. Payment will be required at the time of booking for all online reservations.
Admission is FREE to the Safari Park for all students in San Diego County Schools and San Diego County home schools with registered campuses during the traditional school year. Non-San Diego County schools and home schools outside of San Diego County with registered campuses receive a reduced admission rate of $15 per student. Chaperone costs vary based on student-to-adult ratio. All schools pay $15 per person on weekends, holidays, and during winter, spring, and summer school breaks. During October, students from in-county and out-of-county school groups, grades pre-K–12, are admitted free, but advanced reservations are required. The Africa Tram is included in all admissions.
Qualified youth groups, clubs, and parent participation groups within Zip Codes 91900-92899 receive a reduced admission rate. For the 2018-2019 school year, child admission will be $23 per child over the age of 2 and adult admission will be $28 per adult. The Africa Tram is included in your admission. All other youth groups outside of zip code range should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Visit Qualifications
Please look through the following policies and procedures to see if you qualify for reduced admission through our Education Department:
- There is a 15-person minimum for all groups.
- If you are bringing a special-needs class, the minimum group size is 8.
- School must be accredited public, private, or home school, and currently be in session.
- Preschool through college groups are welcome.
- Youth groups can include day care, camps, scouts, after-school programs, YMCA, Boys and Girls Clubs, and organizations that work with individuals with disabilities.
- The group must have at least 1 adult for every 10 students to be allowed entry. College groups must have at least one professor/instructor or administrator attending the field trip.
- There is a maximum of 200 people per group, per day at the school rate.
- Advance group reservations are required for these rates.
- The entire group must enter together to qualify for the discounted rate. Late arrivals will be charged the regular admission rates. Parents and chaperones will not receive the school discounted admission rate if they pay separately from your group.
*Adult tickets over the 1:1 ratio can be included in your reservation. Please check website for current admission prices.
**Teachers are included in your Adult admission numbers
***Click below to review our calendar for free and fee dates:
Guided programs and classes are offered for all groups with advance reservations. All of our field trip tours and programs are aligned to Next Generation Science and Common Core Standards. We support your classroom studies in all curriculum areas: science, language arts, fine arts, social studies, and math.
Most school groups respect our animals and property, but please familiarize yourself and your group with our rules before coming to the Park, to allow your visit to run smoothly.
Do It Yourself: Self-guided Visit
Bringing a class of students or a youth group to the Park or Zoo has never been easier! You're the tour guide when you come to the Park on a self-guided visit (without a Park educator). FREE grade-specific educational materials supporting the Next Generation Science Standards can be downloaded on the Curriculum link prior to your visit, so that you and your chaperones can easily direct your students through the Park.
- Advance reservations are required for self-guided visits. To visit the Park, fill in our field trip request form. The Safari Park is unable to accept reservations by fax. Reservations made less than two weeks in advance will be charged a $25 late fee and will not receive complimentary parking. Please email EducationPark@sandiegozoo.org or call 760-738-5057 with any questions or concerns.
- Admission is FREE for students and chaperones* within San Diego County schools and San Diego County home schools with registered campuses during the traditional school year. Non-San Diego County schools and Homeschools outside of San Diego County with registered campuses pay a discounted rate of $15 for students and chaperones on traditional school days. All schools pay $15 per person on weekends, holidays, and during the summer. Adults over and above the number of students will be charged full admission price. Teachers are included in your chaperone count. Qualified youth groups, clubs, and parent participation groups within Zip Codes 91900-92899 receive a reduced admission rate. For the 2018-2019 school year, child admission will be $23 per child over the age of 2 and adult admission will be $28 per adult. The Africa Tram is included in all admissions. All other youth groups outside of the zip code range, please contact email@example.com for tickets. All groups must have a minimum ratio of 1 adult to 10 students and chaperones must remain with the students at all times. Groups without reservations pay regular admission rates. Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks (10 business days) prior to your visit date or a $25 late booking fee will be applied. Payment is due upon arrival.
*Discounted rate applies to adult chaperones within the assigned ratio. Within San Diego County schools and homeschools, adults between the 1:10 minimum ratio and a 1:4 maximum ratio are free during the traditional school year. Adults exceeding ratio are allowed but incur higher fees. Adults above the maximum ratio of 1:4 up to and not exceeding the total number of students, a 1:1 ratio, are $15 each.
- Day of your field trip: Parking is free for buses and chaperone vehicles when reservations are made at least two weeks in advance of the visit. When you arrive, tell the parking attendant the name of your school group. Upon arrival, have your entire school group wait at the Log Ring located between RV Parking and Admissions. The group leader will need to check in at any available ticket booth to submit payment and receive the admission tickets for your field trip. The entire group must enter together to qualify for the discounted rate; we are unable to hold tickets for individuals in your group. Late arrivals will be charged the regular admission rates. Parents and chaperones will not receive the school discounted admission rate if they pay separately from your group. Once you have paid, you are responsible for the tickets and getting your group into the Safari Park.
- Self-Guided Activities & Teacher/Chaperone Guide: Download these fun activities to do with your students while visiting the Park, or any zoo or wildlife area! Activities are arranged by grade level.
- Additional Questions? Please look through our Field Trip FAQ for answers to our most frequently asked questions regarding field trips to the Safari Park.
Additional Information for Your Visit
- We define a chaperone as an individual of at least 19 years old and out of high school.
- Teachers must be included in your chaperone count.
- If you have any special-needs students, we do allow 1 additional adult to act as an aide for each special-needs student in the group. These aides do not count against your ratio. Please indicate this on the registration form if it applies to your group.
- The Africa Tram is included with the school admission tickets.
- The Balloon Safari is not included with school admission tickets but can be purchased at the time of check-in. A special discounted ticket of $5 for a five-minute flight is available for school groups only, not individuals. Tickets may be purchased on site only and are not available for sale in advance.
- School lunches can be ordered at 760-738-5057 after you receive your trip confirmation. Lunch orders must be placed more than 4 days before your visit.
- Parking is free of charge with reservations made two weeks in advance of the visit (current parking is $15 per vehicle).
Plan a Guided Program for Your School Group
Teachers can choose a guided tour for their school group as part of a field trip to the Park. Guided programs are offered year-round and include an up-close animal encounter. Full field trip funding for select programs may be available for Title 1 second- through sixth-grade classes in San Diego County. Guided Tour Descriptions
Plan a Guided Program For Your Youth Group
Youth group leaders can choose a guided tour for their qualified youth group (such as scouts, YMCA, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc.) as part of a field trip to the Park. Guided programs are offered year-round and include an up-close animal encounter. Guided Tour Descriptions